Saturday, October 8, 2011

A Warm Welcome to the Concord Grape

Every fall, I eagerly await the arrival of the concord grape and now the wait is finally over. Today, I had to arrive early to the Union Square Market, just so I could get my hands on a bunch.  Every other week that I had arrived mid-afternoon, the small harvest that they had was sold-out.  So I was smarter this week and arrived at a better time, but to find myself only waiting in line with other grape fanatics.  Only in New York would you have to wait in line for fruit, but that is a different story. 

What is it about this particular grape variety that is hallmark above the rest?  It would have to be the outer dark purple skin that gives way to a juicy, rich, champagne-like flavor and almost jelly-like consistency that is reminiscent of Welches jelly and grape juice that I once loved as a child, but 100 times better


(Concords are absolutely divine, but second best is the Niagra grape, which is green and just a tad tarter and more like champagne)

No comments:

Post a Comment