Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Homemade Ricotta Cheese & Apricot and Ricotta 'Crostini'


There are some foods in life that are just better homemade - pie crust, your trustee chocolate chip cookies and ricotta cheese.  When I first conjured up the idea to make my own, I was initially a little unsure that I (someone with zero Italian in me) could make the silky and creamy cheese that the family-owned Italian specialty store around the corner churns out each day.  But I am dubbing ricotta cheese as the lazy man's recipe - it only uses three ingredients - milk, cream and lemon juice and the majority of its 'cooking' time is letting it drain in a cool place for up to two hours.  Once all of the draining was complete, I was left with the same quality of cheese that Italian grandmothers have been making for years - it was light and silky perfect for layering slathering on a piece of crusty bread or on apricots like I did here. Continue for more...


*All photographs by Alison 

15 comments:

  1. Oh yum, these look amazing and so tasty!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  2. so impressed that you attempted this! and that it was that easy!! Surprising! I love it! I agree there is nothing like homemade pie crust...I can tell when its not immediately...why would someone put so much work into the filling and not make the crust? It ruins it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fresh ricotta makes a big, big difference. I just tweeted about apricots- so excited for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a great cook Alison, never know of this recipe and it makes me curious to try!:) Kisses! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted to try my hand at homemade ricotta, but I've been nervous. You made this look so easy (and delish!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never made homemade cheese (or anything really) but my father-in-law always suggests it! These look yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I had no idea ricotta cheese was so simple to make! These little bites look so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW, I'm really impressed!!! I've been living between Paris and Milan for 9 years and I never saw anyone making his own ricotta in Italy.
    Congratulations Alison and thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks amazingly delicious! I just posted about a giveaway I will be running worth over $140! I think you'll love it! You should participate;)! You could be the winner :D:D!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look beyond amazing. You always make food look so freakin pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. aaaaaaaahmazing, i loved!!
    hope youll also like my purposes

    www.malesclutch.blogspot.com
    Sergio, xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummmmm! I just had a microwaveable meal for lunch and it was not in the least satisfying! This looks so easy to make and would def satisfy my sweet tooth!
    xx
    Holly Foxen Wells
    GlamourMash

    ReplyDelete
  13. those look DELICIOUS! what a great nibble for a dinner party!

    xxx
    Lady à la Mode

    ReplyDelete