Monday, June 4, 2012

Saying Goodbye to Santorini and Sailing the Greek Islands


(A pristine white church in Akrotiri)

The second part of our stay in Santorini consisted of exploring some of the island's beaches and wine country on our ATV.  We explored the ancient town of Akrotiri which is home to Red Beach, a stunning landscape that is carved right out of the volcanic red rock.  In order to get to this gorgeous and desserted beach you have to hike down a cliff that is covered in sharp volcanic rock.  Once you get to the beach you are greeted with turqouise blue waves that crash in to the red sand shore.  We also explored Kamari Beach that is located beside a quaint town full of restaurants and extraordinary rock formations.  The black sand at Kamari beach is so silky soft but when the sun shines down upon it, it can get extremely hot.  

We were also lucky enough to explore quite a bit of wine country.  On our way back from Akrotiri we stopped at a market along the road that sold sun dried tomatoes, capers, olives, honey and wine.  I picked up a jar of buttery green olives (they were unbelievable) and honey.  We also got to experience two sunsets in Santorini which were magical.  The colors that shot through the sky were heavenly and  loved how the sun cast a silvery reflection on the sea.  I'll be honest, I did not want to leave Santorini, sailing past its steep cliffs and white painted landscape just reminded me how lucky I was to experience this island that truly is paradise
(Red Beach)
(Homes were built into the rock)
(Taking it all in)
(The turqouise water)
(Straw covered umbrellas at Kamari Beach)
(The black sand at Kamari Beach)
(Kamari beach )
(Grape vines with the backdrop of the Aegean Sea)
(The market alongside the road)
(A silvery sunset as seen from our balcony)
(Another sunset in Santorini)
(Crystal blue water captured at the port)

(The view from Blue Star Ferries of Oia)
(Sailing through the Greek Islands)
(Watching the ripples)
(One of many islands we sailed past)
(Another silvery sunset experienced on the ferry)

*Photographs by Alison










16 comments:

  1. This is on my bucket list of places to visit in my lifetime- it looks unbelievably gorgeous!

    xx Lynzy

    www.sparklingfootsteps.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been there,the most beautiful island...i'm from Greece! I hope you enjoy your stay here...have fun!
    Zoi
    http://zoiloves.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoi - Greece was one of the most stunningly beautiful places that I have yet to visit, you are lucky that you live there:)

      xo
      Alison

      Delete
  3. wow these pictures are so beautiful! I am going to santorin this summer, do you have any tips for me what I should definieltey look at? It would be so nice, if you have the time if you could mail them to me!:) My address is kateofstyledept@gmail.com
    Thank you so much!
    xx Kate

    http://style-department.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate,
      Absolutely! I will email you some recommendations! You will fall in love for sure:)

      xo
      Alison

      Delete
  4. Amazing! You have captured the beauty of this place in the most perfect way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these photos are so breathtaking!:) love them! have a nice week dear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. GORGEOUS! Greek islands are on my list! I am your newest follower. Would love for you stop by The Jem Journal and say hi! Have a great week!
    -Morgan
    www.thejemjournal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Morgan!
      Thank you so much for following me and commenting! I just followed you back, you have a great blog! Keep in touch!

      xo,
      Alison

      Delete
  7. I already knew Greece was a divine place, but seeing it all through your eyes Alison, made me anxious for one day to get there and experience its magic. Your love for Greece is contagious :)

    I think it would be a perfect place for a honeymoon :)

    XO,
    Oteea

    http://oteea-land.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Oteea! Yes, Greece would be an amazing place for a honeymoon, so romantic:)

      xo
      Alison

      Delete
  8. Your photos are so beautiful!

    Please enter my Swarovski pen giveaway on www.luxessed.com!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks amazing, wow! thanks for sharing these pictures!

    xx
    kat

    www.withlovefromkat.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to visit Greek Islands! Beautiful photos <3

    katiesbliss.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Greece looks like such a dream destination. Fabulous pics.

    www.fashionpastiche.com

    ReplyDelete