Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Petal by Petal: Cosmo

Being in a creative person, I find it essential to step out and venture into neutral territory, some place that I am not constantly stimulated by the computer screen - Pinterest! Blogs! Instagram! The place that I regain my center is being in nature, whether it is at the beach or spending time in the grass in the country.  One of my favorite things is to be consumed by flower fields, wild or cultivated, there beauty is something that you just cannot get when sitting behind a computer.  Typically I shoot by Petal by Petal series in my studio (rather my Brooklyn apartment that I try to transform and make it condusive to a photo session), but switching things up to step out but if stepping out and being with the flowers in their element is an option then I jump at it.  I took these photographs of towering and incredibly vibrant cosmos a few weeks ago at a farm in Upstate New York.  Shades of purple and pink stood out in a sea of green that was almost unreal (note, typically I may bring the saturation levels up when editing a photo, but not here, these flowers were that green).  Read on to learn more about this summer beauty!



Cosmos
Derived from the Greek word meaning 'balanced universe'.  Cosmos are from the Asteraceae family, the same family as sunflowers, daisies and asters.  An added bonus with this flower is that they attract butterflies and hummingbirds. 

Description: Herbaceous Perennial 
Color: Pink, Purple, White, Yellow and Red
Height: 3 to 6 feet
Flower Size: 2 to 4 inches
Fragrance: Subtle, except for Chocolate Cosmos that have a vanilla aroma

Shot on location at Fishkill Farms, NY

7 comments:

  1. Cosmos are one of my favourite garden flowers. You have captured the vivid colours so well here and the background information was interesting too.

    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! Different than your regular petal series, but I love it just the same :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! Different than your regular petal series, but I love it just the same :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure I've ever seen these in person but they are so pretty! I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally get it and have been making more of a concerted effort to step away from my electronics lately. BTW, these photos are phenomenal.

    Megan // www.fyeahblog.com

    P.S. My blog turned 1 today so I'm giving away a Louis Vuitton clutch. Be sure to enter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What gorgeous, gorgeous images. Cosmos are a favorite flower and I regularly get flowers from our farmer's market and cosmos are predominant in the bouquet…beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so, so pretty...love their color against that pretty green. I didn't know their name so thank you for the info.

    ReplyDelete