Wednesday, June 25, 2014

At the Market:: Fava Beans (Fava Beans & Ricotta)

Fava beans are one of those quick to arrive and quick to leave vegetables that grace us with their presence in the late spring and early summer.  Just like ramps, garlic scapes and rhubarb, you have to act quickly in order to enjoy their goodness.  I was very lucky to get a preview of fava beans while in France and Italy since they were over-flowing in wooden bins at the open-air markets.  Returning home, I anxiously awaited their arrival and low and behind nearly three weeks later they arrived.  My mind was swaying back and forth, what to make exactly - do I go the soup route or maybe even humus, however, I decided to recreate a dish that I recently enjoyed at Il Buco Alimentari (one of my absolute favorite restaurants) in New York.  Split with a friend we enjoyed homemade ricotta with fava beans and a generous drizzle of olive oil and freshly squeezed lemon.  It was mind-blowingly good, so I decided to re-create it.  



Fava Beans & Ricotta
Ingredients:
Fresh Ricotta
Fava Beans
1/2 Lemon, juiced
Olive Oil, to taste
Sea Salt Flakes, to taste
Toasted Baguette, if desired

Directions: Shell fava beans, by cutting the pods open and removing the the beans.  Fill a large bowl with ice and water to create an ice bath, set aside.  Bring a pot of water to a boil and place beans in pot.   Let boil for one minute (you will see the beans inside begin to emerge).  Place into ice bath and let cool.  Once cooled removed the second layer away from beans.  Set aside.  Place fresh ricotta in a serving bowl.  Top with fava beans, drizzle with olive oil, lemon juice and dust with sea salt.  Serve with baguette if desired. 

*Photography & Styling by Alison 

4 comments:

  1. YUM!!! exactly my kind of dinner! We had this didn't we? Dying to go back. Will email you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so delicious! My friends and I actually had something similar when we were in Fort Worth last weekend!

    The Style Scribe

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I grow up, I want to take food photos that are half as beautiful as yours! This recipe sounds amazing and I'm so happy fresh Fava beans are back :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. i had this at a different restaurant in nyc. it was sooo good. it looks great!

    ReplyDelete