Thursday, September 29, 2011

Secret Garden - Alluring Paths

(The inspiration)

As a child, I was fascinated with The Secret Garden, both the book and the movie. When I was younger, I would sit in our backyard (it was an average city lot in Ohio) and just think about all of the possibilites that could take fold with just the planting of a few fur trees.  I would make paths with dirt, in fact I would dig for hours - my goal was to ultimately create a stream between our newly planted backyard accents.  I was obsessed with making paths, so I figure this is a good way to begin my first post about gardens.  Even today, I will walk by an overgrown lot in New York and think about how pretty it would be if it was filled with a variety of fragrant roses and a stone path. 

My passion and interest in gardens has expanded tri-fold since I was a child, as I was able to explore various gardens throughout Europe, including the awe-inspiring Garden of Versailles that I have already mentioned - see,  I told you I was quite smitten.  Even though I do not have a full-fledged garden, I still dream about the possibilities of my back porch here in Brooklyn. 

Images from Sunset Magazine and Garden Design Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment