Thursday, May 1, 2014

The Costume Exhibit: Charles James - Beyond Fashion

There is no doubt that the Met Ball embodies pure glamour and prestige - remember when Kim Kardashian wasn't even allowed to attend? Apparently Anna Wintour seems to be singing to a different tune since the April cover of Vogue.  The past two exhibits have been pretty spectacular with Alexander McQueen's Savage Beauty and Punk: Chaos to Couture.  This year, the Met Gala is dedicated to courtier Charles James who created one of a kind ball gowns carefully devised in sculptural silhouettes using a scientific and mathematical approach.  The exhibit debuts May 8th and runs through August 10th.  I will definitely be attending (not the Ball, but the exhibition) and will report back.  Meanwhile, you can see the red carpet on Vogue.com May 5th. They are saying we are in for some old-world elegance, and as a lover of vintage and history I cannot wait to see what that entails.  In the meantime here is a snapshot of a few of the looks.  




Images via The Metropolitan Museum of Art

4 comments:

  1. Oh la la! These gowns are breathtaking!
    www.fashiontruffles.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! I would love to attend one day...I just love ballgowns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm coming to NYC for two weeks at the end of May, so I'll have to plan a trip to see the collection!

    The Style Scribe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely want to go see this! And if you know anyone looking for a date to the ball I'd love an invite :)

    ReplyDelete