Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Healthy Apple Cinnamon Granola

I currently have an over-sized bag of apples sitting in our apartment from our recent apple picking excursion.  I can guarantee that they will be gone before too long, since I have been eating about three to four a day and I keep thinking of ways to incorporate them into meals.  I love granola, but only when it is homemade. I feel that store bought has way too much unnecessary sugar and fat.  I decided to bake healthy Apple Cinnamon Granola to eat for breakfast layered between Greek yogurt or just to nibble on as a snack. Continue for recipe...



Ingredients:
One large apple,  diced into small pieces (I used Cortland)
2 cups old-fashioned oats
2 tablespoons oil (vegetable or canola)
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Dice apple into small pieces and add to a medium sized bowl.  Add oats, oil, honey, cinnamon, almonds, vanilla extract and salt.  Mix to combine.  Spread onto baking sheet. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, (depending on how crunch you want your granola) stirring every 5 to 7 minutes to ensure even baking.  Sprinkle on Greek yogurt and enjoy! 

*All photographs by Alison 




11 comments:

  1. not really a granola fan, but this looks so delicious, I am definitely going to try it! so excited, hope mine will be as good as yours is looking here!:)
    xx Kate

    http://style-department.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUm!!!! totally trying this. I love granola.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yummy! I love granola so I'll have to try this one!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a DELISH breakfast! And agreed, homemade is SO much better!

    xx
    Holly Foxen Wells
    GlamourMash

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE granola! This looks delicious. xo, Julie
    www.fromproseccotoplaid.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, so yummy!! I've been wanting to try my hand at homemade granola. This is perfect!

    -Alyssa
    The Glossy Life

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apple and cinnamon is one of my favourite combinations...but I've never put it together in granola....definitely going to try this!
    dimplesdiaries
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alison, not only are you coming up with great interieur ideas and creations but this recipe is fantastic. I am huge greek cearel johgurt fan. I will def try this out as I have couple of apples laying here :-). My landowerns have a fireplace where they put apple rings in hmmm how i love that :-)

    Ani
    www.fleurani.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG that looks so completely delicious! I want it!

    girlavantgarde.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE granola, but I agree, store bought granola can be way too sugary. I'll definitely try this!

    xo Jenny
    www.crazystylelove.com

    ReplyDelete