Friday, January 25, 2013

A Little Bit About Me

I have been blogging now for quite sometime and I always think there is some sort of mystery of the blogger behind the blog, especially since I don't do outfit shots. I would love to do that, I just am way to picky about photographs, hopefully that will change in the future.  In the meantime, I thought that I would share a few things about me that you may not know.  I hope that everyone has a good weekend and if you are in a sunny and warm place I am very jealous of you - it is going to be below freezing here in New York.   

1. I believe in cyber love: Nearly four years ago, I met my wonderful boyfriend John on-line.  Dating in New York seemed nearly impossible at times, not to mention superficial. After having too many bad dates from guys that I met in bars I decided to try on-line dating, which is where I met John.  If you are looking to meet someone, I recommend it, but be prepared to meet a slew of, ahem, very interesting people.  You have to weed out quite a few people and go on quite a few dates, but I can guarantee that if you keep looking you will find your diamond in the rough - I know that I sure did.  

2. My job: After a somewhat rocky start since college, okay more like 5 years, I finally found a job that is suitable for my skills and passions - besides blogging that is.  Until recently I had jobs that left me feeling depressed and drained to say the least (that could be a whole blog entry and then some).  I am now very happy to say that I am a marketing manager at a fragrance house and feel blessed that I got this job.  It is super creative and I get to smell amazing fragrances and determine trends that could translate into a perfume.  A fragrance house consists of perfumers, sales and marketing teams who collaborate to create fragrances for pretty much every fragrance brand out there.  

3. I am pro-pit bull:  Before we adopted our dog Mickey, I was a little intimidated by the power of these dogs.  One summer, I volunteered weekly at a shelter in Brooklyn and the majority of the dogs were some sort of pit mix.  I walked a different one every week and I couldn't really understand why they had such a bad reputation.  They were sweet, loving and were very generous with their affection, despite the fact that some of the stories behind those dogs, and even our own dog, were just heartbreaking not to mention down-right cruel.  When I tell people what type of dog we have, the immediate reaction is never good - that is until they meet our sweet dog, who would not hurt a fly.  If you are considering adopting a pet, definitely consider this type of dog since they are over flowing in shelters across the country. You will be guaranteed a lifetime of love, not to mention companionship.  One thing to remember is that the dog is not aggressive by nature, it is the people that give them this awful reputation.  

4. I am devoted to vinyasa yoga:  Yoga changed my life.  Before I stepped into my first class nearly 6 years ago, I just didn't get what all of the hype was about - how could I benefit from stretching for at least an hour?  For the longest time I was all about the hard intense run that would leave you climbing hills (I still run about 3 days a week) and pounding the pavement in either sweltering heat or frigid temperatures and everything in between.  For many years I thought it was normal to walk around with your neck tighter than accordion strings and your back tied into many knots. I realized after by fourth yoga class as I lay on the mat that I felt incredible - almost as if I had a good cry.  I felt less stressed, my hips and hamstrings (tired from all of that running) felt open and loose and I realized that I could actually breath.  Prior to yoga I found myself taking many short sips of air through my mouth versus longer slower ones through my nose.  If you are skeptical of yoga, you should really try it - it will change your life and make you more centered. A yoga teacher once told me that yoga won't just center you and make you more present, it will also center others in your life because you are more grounded at present.  


So that is a little bit more about me!

Image via pinterest

30 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing more about yourself!

    xx Amy
    Leopard and Lillies

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love learning more about you! A lot of my friends have found love and gotten married to people they've met online dating, so I'm totally a believer!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  3. enjoyed reading this! your job sounds so fun and awesome. and i looooove that you are speaking out about pit bulls. i have never had one, but i've known others who have and they've been so sweet. it is heart-breaking that they have such a bad reputation and it really IS about the owner. plus, i'm big on adopting shelter animals. our newest dog is from a shelter and she was obviously neglected but is the sweetest and we're so happy to have given her a new home. great post - have a lovely weekend!!
    -- jackiejade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this–learning about the person behind a blog is always so fun! Your job sounds amazing, but I don't think I could ever do it. Perfume usually gives me a headache!

    Alyssa
    The Glossy Life

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog! You are a beautiful writer.


    If you get a sec, check out my latest post... 'Gingham Peplum'.
    I would love to hear what you think of it.

    Sofia

    stylishlyinlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm new to your blog so this is good timing! Nice to hear a little about the blogger behind this fab blog... and as I sit here with my neck tighter than an accordion, what you said about yoga might just have convinced me to try it once more. I don't think I ever gave it a proper chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by Erin!! You should try it it will change your life!

      Delete
  7. Alison, looking forward to see outfit posts from you! Is very nice to know more about you, I admire your job since I am a huge perfume lover!^^ I always go to the cosmetics store only to try some of them! I agree with you, pit-bull are very sweet..love their eyes, too mellow:) Kisses and happy weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Girl! I found you from your comment on the blog Always Maylee. I just thought I'd let you know that about a jacket that is very similar to the one she wore on her blog today. Here is the link http://daisyraeboutique.com/shop/outerwear/striped-peplum-jacket/

    Also, I'm your newest follower :) I'd love for you to visit my blog. xo

    www.kacieskloset.blogspot.com
    www.daisyraeboutique.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alison, this was awesome. So glad to hear about you new job. Sounds fab. The hotel where we are staying this weekend has Asprey products and they smell so nice. Completely obsessed. I will to get some more. I too love yoga. It's so great for you and thinking ahead the only way to age gracefully. And I love you love story :). I would write more if I wasn't on my iPad. It's so hard and slow! Stay warm

    ReplyDelete
  10. really nice post, I love it! it is so nice to get to know you a little better! and try outfit pictures, your collages are always so stylish, I would love to see your real life outfits, and I am also really picky when it comes to how I look on pictures, because I am not that photogenic, but in the end it is the outfit that counts, so who cares;)
    xx Kate

    The Style Department

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful to work in a fragrance house surrounded every day with beautiful scents- I know I would enjoy that! An interesting post.
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Defiantly pro-pit myself seriously consider adopting one, I believe it's all about how you raise an animal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so nice to learn more about you! thanks for sharing it all :)

    p.s. love that you are pro pitbull!

    xxx
    Lady à la Mode

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks for sharing! love learning more about the bloggers i visit :) i too also love yoga & don't know what i would do without it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. L-O-V-E-D reading this Alison! No kidding, the other day, I looked around on your page for an "about me" section so I could learn a little more about you for your upcoming guest post! That's so amazing that you have found a job that you love! I'm also a marketinbg manager... but at an insurance agency... the fragrance house seems incredibly fascinating! Good work, girl! And I support online dating too! Never done it but know so many people in happy relationships from it!

    I hope you have a F-A-B weekend!

    xx
    Holly Foxen Wells
    GlamourMash

    ReplyDelete
  16. i'm happy to know more abt u!!!!
    interesting pt about online dating.

    I absolutely adore your blog.

    Following u now via Goggle +/ bloglovin/ facebook. Follow me back if you like! ♥
    Say meow to me on:
    Miss Aggie Kwong
    Facebook: Miss Aggie Kwong

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's always great to learn a little more about bloggers you admire for such a long time :) Although I do see tiny bits of you in every single post, I love reading exclusively about your life, about you, about NYC :)

    I have also met my fiance, my better half of nearly seven years, online and we share a marvelous life-adventure ever since. I couldn't picture my life without him, so thank God for the internet ^_^

    Your job sounds amazing, congratulations for that and Yoga sounds exactly like the thing that's currently missing in my life!

    Hope to see outfit posts of you soon because you have an impeccable taste <3
    Enjoy your weekend!
    Hugs,
    xx

    www.oteea-land.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow thanks for opening up a bit of yourself to us Alison....it's nice to know too that you love yoga because I love it too! And looking forward to your outfit posts soon!!

    REBECCA
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was such a great read, it was fun getting to know more about you!! I've never even tried yoga. I definitely want to now:)
    xoAmy
    www.dreamingincashmere.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. So happy for you that you now have a job you love! I am working on that this year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loved learning more about you! Your job sounds amazing!!!

    xo, Courtney
    girlavantgarde.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just discovered your blog recently so it's nice to get to know you a bit better through this post! Your job sounds really interesting and it's so great that you found something that really fits. I'm still a bit resistant to trying yoga but everyone I know who does it swears it's life changing. I pretty much have constant neck/back pain so I should probably just give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  23. AH love this!! So glad you shared tidbits about you and your life! Your job sounds amazing! xo, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Geat post! Thanks for sharing a little bit of you with everyone...you are an amazing talent and person and I'm lucky to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks so much for sharing! Your life sounds amazing :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  26. I understand what you mean about pitbulls. My brother had one, and I now have a Rottweiler (equally horrible reputation). Whenever I tell people, they freak out, but she is the biggest softie ever! Dogs like these are so loyal - it's sad that so many people mistreat them. Totally agree with your view on yoga as well - too many think it's a trend but don't realize that many practice it for other reasons.

    Loved reading more about you - thanks for sharing! x

    ReplyDelete